Review of the Gold Delta Skymiles Credit Card
The Gold Delta Skymiles Credit Card was last reviewed on 20th January 2006.
Summary - The Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express will appeal to members and frequent travellers of Delta Airlines. It's key features are :
- You can earn double miles no just for Delta or Song purchases but also from "everyday purchases".
- You get 10,000 bonus miles after your first purchase.
- Delta Skymiles members face no blackout dates when using miles.
Let us look at this card in greater detail.
Miles Formula - The Gold Delta Skymiles Credit Card allows the cardholder to earn doubles for every dollar spent on "everyday purchases". This is defined as qualifying stand-alone supermarkets, drug stores, gas stations, home improvement and hardware stores, Delta and Song® purchases and the U.S. Postal Service, and your wireless phone payments. You earn one mile for every dollar you spend on "other purchases". You will get 10,000 bonus miles after your first purchase on the card.
You can earn miles up to $100,000 in annual spending. The cap is based on spending and not on miles. If your annual spending exceeds $100,000, you will still earn miles for Delta Airlines purchases but at a rate of one mile for every dollar you spend (not double miles). Delta Skymiles does not expire as long as your accout is active within 3 years. Your account is considered active if you have (a) earn SkyMiles through one of the SkyMiles programs partners including the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, (b) redeem SkyMiles for any SkyMiles Award, or (c) take at least one qualifying flight on Delta, Delta Connection�Delta Shuttle� or Song� purchased with a fare that is eligible for SkyMiles mileage credit.
Delta Skymiles also does not impose any blackout dates.
Fees and APR - The Gold Delta Skymiles Credit Card has an annual fee of $85.00. This fee is waived for the first year. Cardholders who are have any American Express Green or Gold charge cards will pay an annual fee of only $30.00. If you transfer a balance, the apr on the balance will be 9.99% for the life of the transfer. The apr is prime rate plus 9.99%. The average daily balance method (including new purchases) is used to calculate monthly balances.
Shopping and Travel Benefits - The Gold Delta Skymiles Credit Card has many shopping and travel benefits. Here is a quick look at these benefits.
1. Online Fraud Protection Plan - American Express will protect cardholders against any fraudulant charges when an unauthorized purchase is made online.
2. Buyers Assurance - This program essentially doubles your warranty for products you have purchases up to a limit of one extra year. Coverage is good for up to a purchase of $10,000 and up to $50,000 worth of purchase a year.
3. Purchase Protection Plan - under this plan, you can return any purchase you make if it is accidentically damaged within 90 days. You are covered up to $1,000 per occurance and up to $50,000 per year.
4. Save in the Offer Zone - American Express has partnered with merchants to offer various savings.
5. Car rental insurance - American Express provides car rental insurance when you rent a car.
6. Travel accident insurance - You will also get up to $100,000 in travel accident insurance.
Verdict - Frequent flyers of Delta or Song should consider getting the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express to earn faster airmiles. One of the great features of this card is that aside from earning double miles on Delta or Song purchases, you also earn double miles on "everyday purchases" (which includes supermarkets, gas stations, drugstores, hardware stores etc).
- Earn double miles on Delta and Song purchases
- Earn double miles on everyday purchases
- Delta Skymiles has no blackout dates
- Miles do not expire if your account is active within 3 years
- Annual fee (which is common among airline credit cards)
|Gold Delta Skymiles Credit Card
||Earn 1 point for every dollar you spend
Earn double miles on purchases at stand-alone supermarkets, drug stores, gas stations, home improvement and hardware stores, Delta and Song® purchases and the U.S. Postal Service, and your wireless phone payments.
||9.99% on balance transfer for life
||$85.00 - first year fee waived
Amex charge card holders pay on $30.00 in annual fee
||Prime Rate plus 9.99%
|Cash Advance APR
||Prime Rate plus 14.99%
|Penalty/Default Rate APR
||Prime Rate plus 12.99% or 21.99%
|Min Finance Charge
|Balance Calculation Method
||Average Daily Balance (including new purchases)
|Balance Transfer Fee
||No balance transfer fee during introductory offer
|Cash Advance fee
||3%, min $5.00
|Late Payment fee
||$15.00 - less than $100
$29.00 - between $100.00 to $1000.00
$35.00 - greater than $1000.00
Apply for the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express
If you already have the Gold Delta Skymiles credit card, we would appreciate if you can spend some time commenting on this card as this will help our readers in making better informed credit card decisions and choices. You can post your review here.
To receive our latest credit card offers, reviews and articles, subscribe to our
Credit Card Tips and Strategies Newsletter
RSS Feed For This News