Review of the American Express Blue Card
The American Express Blue Card was last reviewed on 18th January 2006.
Summary - We recommend the Blue from American Express® to those looking for a no annual fee travel or shopping credit card as the reward program (Membership Rewards Options) is perhaps the most comprehensive credit card reward program in the market. You can earn unlimited points which do not expire.
Reward Formula - The American Express Blue Card allows you to earn one point for every dollar you spend on the card. You can earn unlimited points which do not expire. The American Express Membership Rewards Options program is the reward program for the Blue card. It has 24 airline partners which you can transfer points into airmiles (two points for one airmile) and 15 hotel partners in which you can either exchange points for frequent guest points, get hotel certificates or select from 250 hotels to stay in. There are also numerous cruise, shopping and entertainment rewards.
Other travel or shopping benefits - The American Express Blue card has the following travel and shopping benefits.
1. It allows cardholder to make purchases at shopamex.com, a shopping comparison site designed for Amex cardholders. You can also redeem points for your purchases.
2. You can earn double points when you make your travel arrangements with American Express Travel.
3. You can get a $100 credit back into your statement if you spend $3,000 on a qualifying pvacation using your card at participating American Express Travel Services.
4. Buyers Assurance - This program essentially doubles your warranty for products you have purchases up to a limit of one extra year. Coverage is good for up to a purchase of $10,000 and up to $50,000 worth of purchase a year.
5. Purchase Protection Plan - under this plan, you can return any purchase you make if it is accidentically damaged within 90 days. You are covered up to $1,000 per occurance and up to $50,000 per year.
6. American Express Selects - American Express has partnered with many merchants worldwide to offer discounts to cardholders. Those who travel a lot may find this beneficial.
Fees - The American Express Blue Card has no annual fee. You get a 0% introductory apr on purchases for either 6,12 or 15 months depending on your credit. You will also get a 3.99% apr on balance transfer for the life of the balance transfer. The apr is either prime rate plus 3.99%, 5.99%, 8.99% or 10.99%. The average daily balance method (including new purchases) is used to calculate monthly balances.
Difference between the Blue Card and the Amex Green and Gold Charge Cards
I am often asked by readers whether they should get the American Express Blue card or Rewards Green or Gold card. hence, I would like to highlight their similarities and differences.
1. The American Express Blue Card has identical reward program as the Amex Green and Gold charge cards.
2. The Blue is a credit card whereas the Green and Gold cards are charge cards.
3. here is no annual fee for the Blue card, whereas you have to pay annual fees for the charge cards.
4. The one difference you have to note is that if you have the American Express Rewards Green or Gold Card, you can upgrade the reward program from the Membership Rewards Options to the full Membership Rewards program. With the Blue Card, you cannot upgrade to the full Membership Rewards progam. In the full Membership rewards program, you can exchange one point for one airmile, whereas the Options version requires two points to be exchanged for one frequent flyer mile.
Verdict - The Blue from American Express® will appeal to those who want to enjoy the wide range of rewards offered by the Membership Rewards Options program. Those who like to use points for hotel stays will find that the 15 hotel partners that the reward program has is far more than most other reward programs (which normally have only 3 partners). Furthermore, there are more shopping and entertainment rewards than almost all other reward program. You can also earn unlimited points that do not expire.
- Comprehensive reward program
- 0% introductory offer on purchases
- Reward points do not expire
|American Express Blue Card
||Earn 1 point for every dollar you spend
||0% apr on purchases for either 6, 12 or 15 months
3.99% on balance transfer for life
||No annual fee
||Prime Rate plus 3.99%, 5.99%, 8.99% or 10.99%
|Cash Advance APR
||Prime Rate plus 14.99%
|Penalty/Default Rate APR
||Prime Rate plus 12.99% or 21.99%
|Min Finance Charge
|Balance Calculation Method
||Average Daily Balance (including new purchases)
|Balance Transfer Fee
||No balance transfer fee during introductory offer
|Cash Advance fee
||3%, min $5.00
|Late Payment fee
||$15.00 - less than $100
$29.00 - between $100.00 to $1000.00
$35.00 - greater than $1000.00
Apply for the American Express Blue Card
If you already have this credit card, we would appreciate if you can spend some time commenting on this card as this will help our readers in making better informed credit card decisions and choices. You can post your review here.
To receive our latest credit card offers, reviews and articles, subscribe to our
Credit Card Tips and Strategies Newsletter
RSS Feed For This News